July 06, 2015

Giant Cigarette Companies in the World

The tobacco and cigarette industries are one of the largest worldwide. Whilst there is no precise amount about the industry’s income, it is most likely safe to calculate that it gets to an amount of near to half a trillion dollars annually. If ever the industry were a country, its gross domestic product, would be equal to that of oil titans Saudi Arabia and Venezuela, or of the European countries of Sweden and Poland.

Privatization, mergers and transactions have led to the merging of the industry. Currently there are only five main non-public players, particularly Altria/Philip Morris USA, Philip Morris International, Japan Tobacco International, Imperial Tobacco and British American Tobacco. Moreover, there are 16 state-owned enterprises from diverse countries, the biggest of which is considered China National Tobacco Corporation.
So, here is the list of the major cigarette companies worldwide depending on profits, together with some of its more famous brands.

Altria/Philip Morris USA – $23.8 billion
The Altria Group was previously called Philip Morris Companies. Situated in Henrico County in Virginia. It is the parent company of Philip Morris USA. It gained profits of about $23.8 billion, with a net revenue of $3.39 billion. Several of its more popular brands involve Bond Street, Chesterfield, Classic, L&M, Marlboro, Next, Parliament, and Virginia Slims.

British American Tobacco – $24.5 billion
British American Tobacco (BAT) is an international tobacco company situated in London in the United Kingdom. The company was founded in 1902 as a partnership between two companies- Imperial Tobacco Company of the United Kingdom and American Tobacco Company of the United States. In 1999, it joined Rothmans International. Its well-known products involve such cigarette brands as Dunhill, Lucky Strike, Kent and Pall Mall.

Imperial Tobacco – $46.08 billion
The Imperial Tobacco Group is an international tobacco company located in Bristol in the United Kingdom. The company appeared in 1901 after the merging of 13 British tobacco and cigarette companies. It is believed to be the greatest maker of cigars, fine cut tobacco and tobacco papers across the world. The company manufactures more than 320 billion cigarettes annually via its 51 factories all over the world. Some of the company’s more popular brands involve Crowns, Davidoff, Gauloises, Gitanes, R1, Richmond, and West. The company gained $46.08 billion, with an operating revenue of $2.45 billion and net profits of $1.13 billion.

Japan Tobacco International – $65.9 billion
Japan Tobacco International (JTI) is a major tobacco manufacturer located in Geneva in Switzerland. The company is the international brunch of Japan Tobacco, and it was established after Japan Tobacco acquired the international operations of R.J. Reynolds for $7.8 billion. Some of the company’s more popular cigarette brands are Winston, the second top selling brand worldwide, Mild Seven, Camel, Benson & Hedges, Glamour, LD and Sobranie.

Philip Morris International – $76.34 billion
Philip Morris International is a spin-off of the Altria Group that is present in more than 200 countries. It owns 15.6 % of the cigarette market outside the United States. Some of its brands involve Marlboro, Philip Morris, Red and White, Chesterfield, Parliament, and Virginia Slims.

China National Tobacco Corporation – $91.7 billion

China National Tobacco Corporation is a tobacco company situated in Beijing. It is held by the Chinese government and relishes an exclusive monopoly of the industry in the largest nation in the world, which makes up about a third of the world’s overall consumption of cigarettes. The company produces 2.1 trillion of the 5.9 trillion cigarettes around the world and controls 97 % of the Chinese market. The other 3% come from international sale.

By Lora Dowson, Staff Writer Copyright © 2015 Cigs4Us.biz All rights reserved.